- Module 3 Overview
- 0%Lesson 1
Diagnosis and Management of AscitesActivity
- 1A.Core Concepts
- 1B.Diagnosis and Management of Ascites
- 1C.Paracentesis Video
- Lesson 1 Quiz/CME/CNE
- 0%Lesson 2
Recognition and Management of Spontaneous Bacterial PeritonitisActivity
- 2A.Core Concepts
- 2B.Recognition and Management of SBP
- 2C.Role of Albumin in Treatment of SBP
- Lesson 2 Quiz/CME/CNE
- 0%Lesson 3
Screening for Varices and Prevention of BleedingActivity
- 3A.Core Concepts
- 3B.Screening for Varices and Prevention of Bleeding
- 3C.Portal Hypertension and Approach to Gastric Varices
- Lesson 3 Quiz/CME/CNE
- 0%Lesson 4
Diagnosis and Management of Hepatic EncephalopathyActivity
- 4A.Core Concepts
- 4B.Hepatic Encephalopathy
- 4C.Rifaximin Therapy for Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Lesson 4 Quiz/CME/CNE
- 0%Lesson 5
Referral for Liver TransplantationActivity
- 5A.Core Concepts
- 5B.Referral for Liver Transplantation Evaluation
- 5C.Calculating and Interpreting MELD Score
- Lesson 5 Quiz/CME/CNE
- Module 3 Self Assessment
Module 3 Overview
Authors, Editors and Reviewers
Intended Audience and Content Covered: This module is intended for clinicians who provide long-term management of persons with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. Medical providers intended for this module include Primary care physicians, Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Hospitalists, Infectious Diseases Specials, Gastroenterologists, and Hepatologists. The content covered includes the recognition of cirrhosis-related complications, including the recognition, basic management, and prevention of ascites, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, varices, and encephalopathy. This module also addresses when to refer a patient to a hepatologist and when to refer for liver transplantation evaluation.
(1) Recognize and manage ascites in patients with cirrhosis.
(2) Demonstrate an understanding of the manifestations and treatment of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.
(3) Provide screening for varices in patients with cirrhosis and when indicated variceal bleeding prophylaxis.
(4) Establish competency to Identify and manage hepatic encephalopathy.
(5) Appropriately refer patients for liver transplantation evaluation when indicated.
Continuing Education NoticesThis activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of the University of Alabama School of Medicine and The Seattle STD/HIV Prevention Training Center (PTC) at the University of Washington. The University of Alabama School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The University of Alabama School of Medicine designates this online enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ per lesson. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.ACCREDITATION STATEMENT:
1.0 contact hour will be awarded for each lesson. Completion of all activities within a lesson, the lesson quiz and evaluation are required.
Module 3 Self Assessment
- Continuing Nursing Education at the University of Washington School of Nursing (UWCNE) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- UWCNE is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #07218, for 1 contact hour per lesson.
- Activity 2A.Core Concepts
- Activity 2B.Recognition and Management of SBP
- QuizLesson 2 Quiz
- Activity 3A.Core Concepts
- Activity 3B.Screening for Varices and Prevention of Bleeding
- QuizLesson 3 Quiz
- Activity 5A.Core Concepts
- Activity 5B.Referral for Liver Transplantation Evaluation
- Activity 5C.Calculating and Interpreting MELD Score
- QuizLesson 5 Quiz
Share by e-mailThe Check-on-Learning Questions are short and topic related. They are meant to help you stay on track throughout each lesson and check your undestanding of key concepts.
You must be signed in to customize your interaction with these questions.
- HCV Medications
- Daclatasvir (Daklinza)
- Elbasvir-Grazoprevir (Zepatier)
- Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir (Harvoni)
- Ombitasvir-Paritaprevir-Ritonavir (Technivie)
- Ombitasvir-Paritaprevir-Ritonavir and Dasabuvir (Viekira Pak)
- Peginterferon alfa-2a (Pegasys)
- Peginterferon alfa-2b (PegIntron)
- Ribavirin (Copegus, Rebetol, Ribasphere)
- Simeprevir (Olysio)
- Sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- Sofosbuvir-Velpatasvir (Epclusa)
- Boceprevir (Victrelis)
- Telaprevir (Incivek)
- Course Modules
- Screening and Diagnosis of Hepatitis C Infection
- Evaluation, Staging, and Monitoring of Chronic Hepatitis C
- Management of Cirrhosis-Related Complications
- Evaluation and Preparation for Hepatitis C Treatment
- Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C Infection
- Treatment of Special Populations and Special Situations
- Special Topics
- Slide LecturesCore ConceptsMaster Bibliography
ContributorsSite OverviewContent Bundles
- Clinical Calculators
Since you've received 80% or better on this quiz, you may claim continuing education credit.
You seem to have a popup blocker enabled. If you want to skip this dialog please Always allow popup windows for the online course.