Model For End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) for ages 12 and older
The Model for End Stage Liver Disease (MELD) predicts survival for patients with advanced liver disease.
Serum Bilirubin (mg/dL):
INR (International Normalized Ratio):
Serum Creatinine (mg/dL):
Did the patient have dialysis at least twice in the past week,
or received 24 hours of CVVHD within the prior week?
Constant for Liver Disease Ediology
Serum Sodium (mmol/L):
3-Month Mortality Based on MELD Scores
The estimated 3-month mortality is based on the MELD score highlighted in yellow above.
|MELD Score||Mortality Probability|
|9 or less||1.9% mortality|
Formulas and Notes
MELD(i) = round1[ 0.378 * loge(bilirubin)) + (1.120*loge(INR)) + (0.957*loge(creatinine)) + 0.643 ] * 10
1 rounded to the tenth decimal place.
MELD = MELD(i) + 1.32 * (137-Na) - [0.033*MELD(i)*(137-Na)]
- This version of the MELD calculator includes United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) modifications of the original model.
- The MELD utlizes log scale calculations and thus any value less than 1 is automatically given a lower limit value of 1 to prevent generating a negative score.
- The lower limit of Serum Sodium (Na) is capped at 125, and the upper limit is capped at 137.
- The upper limit of serum creatinine is capped at 4; in addition, if the patient had dialysis at least twice in the past week, the value for serum creatinine will be automatically adjusted to 4.0.
- The maximum MELD score is 40.
This calculator operates entirely from your device.
No input variables or data is transmitted between your computer and our servers.